Franciscans for Earth
As Catholic Sisters who follow the rule and life of St. Francis of Assisi we believe all is sacred, good and interconnected. We believe creation is God’s continuing revelation and mystery unfolding in our world. We call ourselves Franciscans for Earth. We reject that which does harm to creation and our earth companions.
We challenge ourselves to ecological conversion and to being protectors of God’s creation.
We commit to the Franciscan Sisters of Our Lady of Perpetual Help noble call of caring for creation by educating, collaborating and advocating for:
- Simplicity of living
- Grateful contemplation of God’s world
- Concern for the needs of the poor
- Protection of the environment
In 1985 we purchased 40 scenic acres outside of St. Louis as a place of retreat and recreation for our Sisters. Those hallowed acres, which we call our Franciscan farm, have taught us about integral ecology, the interconnectedness of all things.
Our Franciscan farm has become a place for eco-spirituality and ecological learning for all people, as well as the site of a large demonstration garden. We educate, collaborate and advocate for organic practices as we support and provide produce and plants for three area farmers’ markets, host discussion groups, show eco-documentary films, welcome elementary, high school and college students to experience the earth and their place within creation. Ecological events include earth day celebrations, tomato tasting parties, family potato digs, and heirloom seed swaps.
- Days of reflection and retreat focus on our connection to earth and God’s continuing revelation. Click here for more info.
- We have become known as the “green Franciscans”. We invite you to call us and arrange a visit to our Franciscan farm.
- Want to volunteer or become part of our Franciscans for Earth movement? Click Here
- Want to know about special earth events, films, and programs? Click Here
12824 Peter Moore Lane
De Soto, Missouri 63020
Jack Zimmerman, Farm Coordinator – 636.222.2799